So here we go: I have three of these bar stools in my kitchen, and after 10 years and 2 kids, they look like this: Not Pretty right! So I am going to show you how to step by step recover this chair, or any chair.
- Tools to take the cushion apart from the chair. This will depend on your chair specifically. I needed a hex wrench.
- Fabric. This is also a personal choice. Measure your chair and don’t forget to include extra for the sides. My chair cushion is really deep so I needed to add about 6 inches to the cushion size. Then multiply that by the number of chairs you need and convert that to yards. (There are 3 feet in a yard!) Then head to your favorite fabric store and go to the home decor fabrics to choose your fabric. I purchased 4 yards at $6.99 a yard. (Not bad, $28 to make 3 chairs look like new!)
- Staple gun. This can be tricky, I started with a standard staple gun, but the wood on this chair was too hard, so ended up purchasing an electric staple gun for about $30. Most projects will be doable with a standard staple gun. Be sure to have plenty of staples on hand as well.
- Remove the chair cushion from the chair. Then proceed to remove the existing fabric by pulling out all the staples or nails. Here is what it will look like when removed, or similar.
- Cut your new fabric to size. Lay the cushion upside down on the inside of the fabric an begin stapling along one edge. Move the the opposite edge and do the same to the other side, ensuring that you pull the fabric tight. Also be sure not to have any fabric covering holes for attaching the cushion back to the chair. (I learned this the hard way!)
- When you get to the corners, gather the fabric together and then fold, making sure to fold towards the back of the chair, so that all folds point in the same direction.
- Once you are done with the stapling, reassemble the chair and voila you are done and have beautiful chairs again!
So that’s it, easy peasy right!!! Next I will do my dining room chairs, as they are getting a bit stained from the kids. Thanks for reading and have a great day!